Unmet needs and inadequate services take a huge toll on families and prevent adults with ASD from living independently.
The Top 10 issues are:
1. When individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) are phased out of the public school system, the safety net of support gets yanked out from under them.
2. Too little is done to help those aging out of child services to make a successful transition to adult life.
3. Adults have an increased need for mental and emotional health services but decreased access.
4. More than two-thirds of adults with ASD are unemployed; many who have jobs are underemployed.
5. More than 25% want, but can’t get, access to higher education, job training and support for employment.
6. Most adults continue to live with their families when they would prefer to live on their own.
7. To achieve independence, adults require extensive support for activities of daily living (ADL).
8. Independent living options, affordable housing and community supports are extremely limited.
9. Independent living is isolating without access to transportation and opportunities to socialize.
10. Adults and families are needlessly traumatized by preventable police contact and hospitalization.
Interested in receiving email updates?